Pregnancy Should Not Make You Ineligible For Your Job
There is still a misconception that when a woman has a child, she will leave her job to stay at home to care for that child. While this is true for some women, in this economy it is not something every woman can afford, or wants to do. If your employer is making things difficult because of your pregnancy, our Indianapolis discrimination attorneys can help.
At the Employment Law Office of John H. Haskin & Associates, LLC, we have been serving the employees of Indiana for more than 36 years. Our lawyers have extensive experience in successfully resolving legal conflicts between employers and employees. We are the largest employment law firm in the state, and our clients are always employees, never employers. We have represented clients before federal and state employment commissions.
Things Your Employer Is Not Allowed To Do Regarding Your Pregnancy
Pregnancy is covered by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, including the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, and by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Discrimination against women because of their pregnancies does continue, in spite of these laws. It is against the law for an employer to:
- Not hire you because you are pregnant
- Ask you about your pregnancy during an interview or ask if you intend to become pregnant
- Fire or demote you because you are pregnant
- Not allow you to return to the same or a similar position when you return to work after your pregnancy leave
- Treat you differently than any other disabled employee
- Not cover your pregnancy through your husband's insurance if they offer comprehensive coverage for a man through his wife's insurance
You should be able to have a family and a career if that is what you want. Our attorneys will review your situation with you and fight for justice on your behalf.
Contact Us To Learn More About Your Rights During Pregnancy
Call us at 800-872-2334 or contact us online to schedule your free, confidential phone consultation. We are here to help.