John H. Haskin
- Founding Partner
Mr. Haskin is the founding partner of the Indianapolis law firm of Employment Law Office of John H. Haskin & Associates, LLC, the largest employment law firm representing employees in the state of Indiana. The firm serves clients throughout Indiana from its central location of the former Indianapolis Fire Department Headquarters building in downtown Indianapolis.
A native of Indianapolis, Mr. Haskin graduated from Chatard High School, then Indiana University in 1972. Thereafter, he began working full time for the Indiana Civil Rights Commission as an investigator, conciliator and legal intern while attending the Indiana University School of Law at Indianapolis at night.
Mr. Haskin graduated from law school in 1977 and began practicing law as a solo practitioner. Shortly after opening his own practice, Mr. Haskin began to hire night law school students as law clerks. A majority of the firm's associates served as law clerks for the firm while in law school.
Mr. Haskin has represented numerous clients in employment-related actions both in administrative hearings and federal bench and jury trials. Mr. Haskin has tried, and won, a complicated age discrimination case in which the jury found not only intentional discrimination but also constructive discharge, awarding full back pay and liquidated damages.
In prior years, he has been involved in several important appellate cases, including Carr v. Allison Gas Turbine, General Motors Corporation, where the defense verdict from the bench trial was reversed and judgment entered for the sexual harassment plaintiff by the Court of Appeals. Another case was Lehman v. Yellow Freight, where the plaintiff's reverse race discrimination trial verdict was upheld. Mr. Haskin has also handled an age discrimination jury trial, McKelvey v. American Legion.
Mr. Haskin incorporated the Indiana Veterans Service Officers Association as a non-profit corporation and provides counsel to this organization. He has been appointed to the position of Legal Deputy for over 24 years, by two different Sheriff’s, and has been a presenter at the Masters level continuing legal education for over 10 years. His experience representing employees is unmatched in this geographic area.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Constitutional Law
- Employment Law
- Labor Law
- Indiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1984
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1977
- Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana
- B.S. - 1970
- Major: Economics
- Chatard High School
- Carr v. Allison Gas Turbine, General Motors Corporation
- Lehman v. Yellow Freight
- McKelvey v. American Legion
- Contributing Speaker/Advanced Employment Law, Masters Series, Indiana Continuing Legal Education
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- Indiana State Bar Association, Employment and Labor Law Section
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Indiana Civil Rights Commission, Investigator, Conciliator and Legal Intern
Pro Bono Activities
- Epilepsy Foundation of Indiana, Board Member
- Indiana University, Kelley School of Business Dean's Council, Member
- Indiana Veterans Service Office, Counsel
- Indianapolis Dean's Council, Member
- Indiana Veterans Service Officers Association, Founder