Get The Help You Need 100% Confidential
FREE Initial Phone Consultation Call
(317) 955-9500

When money can be deducted from a paycheck

Indiana state law places limits on what can be deducted from an employee's paycheck. For instance, if an employee is fined or otherwise owes the employer money, no funds may be deducted from that employee's paycheck. However, it may be possible to ask for the money after he or she receives a full paycheck, and the employee may be terminated if he or she fails to repay any money owed.

There may be limits as to when money can be deducted in a valid manner from an employee's paycheck. For instance, it may only be allowable to deduct money to pay for insurance premiums or to purchase stock or other company securities. It may also be possible to deduct money from an employee's paycheck for the purpose of donating that money to charity.

Employees who are overpaid during a given pay period may have money deducted from their paychecks. However, employers must provide advance notice and can only take out a certain amount of money per check. Generally, an employer must get a written acknowledgement of the deduction from the employee. Furthermore, the employee may be able to revoke the reduction agreement with written permission from the employer.

An employee who has been paid less than owed may wish to pursue legal action against the employer. It may be possible to get the money. It may also be possible to win compensation for lost wages if an employee is terminated due to contesting a possible illegal deduction. An employment attorney may be able to help an employee pursue such legal actions.

Source: Indiana Department of Labor, "Wage & Hour FAQs", November 21, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Need Help?

Let us know today. Our experienced attorneys want to help you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

John H. Haskin & Associates, LLC
255 North Alabama Street
Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Phone: 317-426-6995
Fax: 317-955-2570
Indianapolis Law Office Map

  • Mon-Fri
  • 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Sat-Sun
  • Closed
Review Us